About

Welcome to Licentia Loquendi, founded January 2009. L2 is a team blog that focuses primarily on political, military and Constitutional issues with a Conservative Christian slant. We are two college students, a Navy corpsman, an Army sniper and a Vietnam era Army veteran.

Each writer has free reign over postings. One writer's views are not necessarily the views of all writers.

20 January 2009

The End of an Era

Fire In My Bones posted an article after the election, titled 10 Ways to Pray for Barack Obama. He will certainly need a great deal of prayer in leading our nation.

A FOXNews article described the departure of the Bushes -- I was surprised (well, not really) by the lack of class displayed by some after the announcement that Bush was no longer president.

Reverend Joseph Lowery said "'We ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get in back, when brown can stick around, when yellow will be mellow, when the red man can get ahead, man; and when white will embrace what is right' . . . to laughter from the vast audience." Apparently I'm not "mellow" -- and I can actually be pretty stressed and uptight sometimes. And I'm "yellow?" According to Bare Minerals, I'm "light," thank you very much. I don't remember ever asking anyone "to get in back." And Caucasians don't "embrace what is right?" Is that only Caucasians? Though Rev. Lowery said this "to laughter," I hardly find his comments PC. And I thought we were all striving to be PC.
I realize that there was a message beneath all of that, but I simply wish he would have worded it differently and more tastefully. I personally did not find it at all amusing -- but of course, that's just my opinion.

The troops were told "'that they will always remember where they were when Barack Obama became the 44th president of the United States.'" The last time I heard a similar statement was around September 11, 2001. I don't really remember where I was when George W. Bush became president -- though I was most likely in front of my TV. Either way, somehow I don't remember where I was a day eight (or even four) years ago, but I remember where I was today. Give me a few years. I'm sure I'll forget. But I'm absolutely certain that I will never forget where I was on September 11, 2001.

No comments:

Post a Comment