About

Welcome to Licentia Loquendi, founded January 2009. L2 is a team blog that focuses primarily on political, military and Constitutional issues with a Conservative Christian slant. We are two college students, a Navy corpsman, an Army sniper and a Vietnam era Army veteran.

Each writer has free reign over postings. One writer's views are not necessarily the views of all writers.

24 February 2009

Dining With the Ambassador of Zimbabwe

For an interview between Amb. Machivenyika Mapuranga and FPTV's Katherine Wheeler, please visit Foreign Policy: FPTV: How Do You Defend a Failing State?. Ambassador Mapuranga's interview is the last video at the bottom of the screen.

The dinner was delightful (although the chicken was slightly dry and I was rather uptight throughout the entire meal). In attendance were Amb. Mapuranga and his wife, three professors (including Dr. Pankratz, who invited me), a representative of President McMillan, two men from the Reading World Affairs Council and two other students, aside from myself. The conversation was quite enlightening, and I learned a lot about Zimbabwe (mainly its history).

After the dinner, we then crossed from the President's Conference Room to Alumni Hall so that Amb. Mapuranga could hold a talk about Zimbabwe, followed with a Q&A session. Unfortunately, all of my questions pertained to either Mugabe, human rights violations or corruption, so I didn't ask any of them for fear of offending Amb. Mapuranga (and could he really have answered any of them, anyway, being that he's an ambassador?). However, one of the other students in attendance asked about corruption in the government, Amnesty International, and the citizens' awareness. Her questions were almost answered. Almost.
I do think I disappointed my professor, though, since I remained silent. Still, I suppose I would rather remain silent and thought shy (or stupid), than open my mouth and offend a visiting dignitary. I suppose.
Regardless, I was honored to have been selected to attend the dinner and lecture this evening, and it was a privilege to have met the Ambassador of Zimbabwe and his wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment