About

Welcome to Licentia Loquendi, founded January 2009. L2 is a team blog that focuses primarily on political, military and Constitutional issues with a Conservative Christian slant. We are two college students, a Navy corpsman, an Army sniper and a Vietnam era Army veteran.

Each writer has free reign over postings. One writer's views are not necessarily the views of all writers.

09 April 2009

The name's Lee. Lee EunYoung.

State Representative Betty Brown of Texas suggested "that Asian-Americans should change their names because they're too hard to pronounce" (Think Progress). The suggestion came in light of difficulties Asian-Americans face at the polls because of discrepancies between the "legal transliterated name and then a common English name that is used on their driver's license on school registrations" (Houston Chronicle). "'Rather than everyone here having to learn Chinese -- I understand it's a rather difficult language -- do you think that it would behoove you and your citizens to adopt a name that we could deal with more readily here?'" (Think Progress) asked Brown. Later, she told the representative of the Organization of Chinese Americans, "'Can't you see that this is something that would make it a lot easier for you and the people who are poll workers if you could adopt a name just for identification purposes that's easier for Americans to deal with?'" (Think Progress).

And just what does Rep. Brown mean by names that are "easier for Americans to deal with?" Exactly who does she consider an "American?" Clearly, immigrants are excluded . . . which leaves everyone but American Indians. Some Asian names are no more difficult to pronounce or spell than Eastern European names (the last name of my dad's grandfather has three or so different spellings, and he was Russian). And exactly what is she suggesting with the phrase, "you and your citizens?"
Also, I personally don't find Chinese to be exceedingly difficult -- there are no verbs to conjugate and no gendered words. I applaud those who learn English as a second language, as I believe it is far more difficult than Chinese.
In my opinion, the ignorance of this woman is shocking and unacceptable. As a politician, I hope that she would try to treat her constituent fairly, with understanding and acceptance. Her close-minded attitude is appalling in this day and age.

我也觉得中文不难。 我喜欢学中文, 觉得写中文容易。

Aren't you all grateful that I was adopted and answer to the nickname of "Betsy?" I'd hate for everyone to have to attempt to pronounce Lee EunYoung.

[EDIT]
I meant to post this two days ago. It's interesting that I can't live without my laptop when I'm at school, but rarely use it at home. I apologize for my tardiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment