About

Welcome to Licentia Loquendi, founded January 2009. L2 is a team blog that focuses primarily on political, military and Constitutional issues with a Conservative Christian slant. We are two college students, a Navy corpsman, an Army sniper and a Vietnam era Army veteran.

Each writer has free reign over postings. One writer's views are not necessarily the views of all writers.

30 June 2009

Justice

Although I love the movie "Defiance," the scene in which the Jews in hiding beat the German soldier (I'm not sure whether he was an SS or regular army) always disturbs me. A lot. Perhaps it's because I do not understand war and have never lost anyone close to me to the brutality of war (or anything other than cancer and horrific car accidents, actually), but when the bereaved mothers start yelling the names of their sons and cry, "Justice!" I cannot view their bashing in of the man's head with rifle butts as justice, but rather as murder. How does one justify the life of another? I do not understand how one can view the taking of a life as justice. In war, both the guilty and the innocent, both civilians and combatants, perish. But, perhaps it is because things are different in war.

No comments:

Post a Comment