About

Welcome to Licentia Loquendi, founded January 2009. L2 is a team blog that focuses primarily on political, military and Constitutional issues with a Conservative Christian slant. We are two college students, a Navy corpsman, an Army sniper and a Vietnam era Army veteran.

Each writer has free reign over postings. One writer's views are not necessarily the views of all writers.

19 February 2009

The Bright Side

The military advertising presentation I worked so hard on only earned me 140/150 points (~93%). I lost ten points because I failed to address post-9/11 fears and hesitations regarding enlistment.

Army General David McKiernan claims that, due to a stalemate between insurgents and US/allied forces, a 55,000 troop surge in Afghanistan will most likely remain around that level for the next five years (and those 55,000 are only two-thirds his requested number of troops).
When I first read the article (at FNC), I was completely shocked. I completely support our troops, but when I learned in December that a friend was being deployed to Afghanistan for a year, everything seemed to shift and the war suddenly became personal. Five years seems like such a long time to fight a war.
On the bright side, within five years I'll have finished school and hopefully will be able to secure a journalist job that will send me to Afghanistan so I can document the war (a la Joe Galloway, Martha Gellhorn and Michael Yon). If that can be considered a bright side.

No comments:

Post a Comment